Turmeric Lattes and Banana Muffins
After a challenging yoga class and a big breakfast, you deserve to set down and relax with a turmeric latte and a banana muffin. Here’s how you can make them at home. Thanks to Saba from the Treehouse Kitchen for sharing two of her best plant based breakfast recipes.
These super powered lattes are the best way to get your day started. Drink this first thing in the morning and give your body 20 minutes to wake up and get ready to start the day. Turmeric’s potent anti-inflammatory benefits teamed with coconut’s healthy energy boosting good fats make the perfect soothing combination.
Ingredients (Makes 2)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 inch fresh grated turmeric / 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger / 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 2 pinches cardamom powder
- pinch of salt
Whisk everything together in a bowl and cook on a low heat for 5 minutes until the sugar and salt have dissolved. Using a fine mesh strainer, strain over 2 glasses making sure to really press down on the pieces of turmeric and ginger to get as much juice out as possible.
Banana Bread / Muffins
Here is Saba’s delicious gluten free banana bread/muffin recipe which will fill the house with the beautiful smell of cosy goodness!
Ingredients (Makes 1 large loaf / approx. 30 muffins)
- 1⁄4 cup non dairy milk of choice
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- 6 tablespoons date syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla powder (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 2 1⁄4 cups ripe bananas (approx. 5 medium bananas)
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. Himalayan pink salt 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped nuts + seeds (I love using walnuts & pumpkin seeds)
- 1⁄4 cup cacao nibs (optional)
Preheat oven to 175 C. Line a bread tin /muffin tin with baking paper. Put the milk, oil, date syrup, vanilla, and bananas in a blender and blend until smooth.
In a large bowl combine dry ingredients. Add banana mixture and combine using as few stroked as possible. Fold in nuts and cacao nibs.
Pour into the bread tin / fill up the muffin cases about 3/4 full. You can add a slice of banana or more nuts and seeds on top if you like. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean about 30/40 mins for the bread and 15 mins for the muffins.
Want more? Head to Saba’s website for more recipes.